New FMBAA Directors slate
Below is the proposed directors for starting this April. The four names on top of the list are the new candidates. At the February Pot Luck on the 15th, a membership vote will be taken for the new slate.
- Pam Flaherty (1)
- Louise Davis (1)
- JoAnn LaPadula (1)
- Elaine Moses (1)
- Tom Flaherty (2)
- Jeanne Raimondi (2)
- Janine Lakatos (2)
- Ann Dunlap (3)
- Lynne Wesolowski (3)
- Helma Gansen (4)
- Donna Bergeron (4)
The retiring directors (thanks for your service!) are George Buelow, Dorothy McDowell, Mary Chaikowski and Judi Miller.
FMBAA Rejoining ACSWF
ACSWF gallery in Coconut Point
FMBAA’s Board voted at the January Board Meeting to rejoin the Art Council of Southwest Florida (ACSWF). The Board has been following their activities for the last year and it seemed they have been trying to get back to the original goals of the organization.
FMBAA members can now participate in any of the Council activities (shows, gallery, etc). Please see the ACSWF website www.acswf.org for all of their upcoming events. FMBAA is eligible to have a show at the gallery, and/or a two day exhibit for someone from our membership. This is on a first come, first serve basis. We just need to schedule the time.
With our participation in the Council comes our responsibilities to the Council. We are required to host a Council meeting every three years, which will be added to the calendar for next season, and have a delegate and/or an alternate delegate to attend the monthly meetings. They are also looking for officers to fill vacant seats on their board. If you can help in any way or would like more information, contact Floyd Lawrence at Falaw32@aol.com
Paint the Beach -
A Plein Air Success
Quick Draw competition in Times Square
The 2017 Paint the Beach Festival was another success. Sixty plein air painters from all around the U.S and a few international entrants competed throught the week of November 6-12 to produce beautiful results.
An artist at the Sundowner competition on the beach
The first judged competition was the Sundowner competition on Wednesday on the beach a stones throw from the FMBAA Gallery.
This event was sponsored by Junkanoo, Fresh Catch Bistro, Jack Richeson & Co., Inc, and Cheap Joe’s Art Stuff.
Here are the results as judged by Neil Walling:
- First Place: Manon Sander “Taking a Stand”
- Second Place: Linda Richichi “Before Sunset”
- Third Place: Fran Mangino “Junkanoo Bar”
- Honorable Mention: Kathryn McMahon “Sundowner Beach”
- Honorable Mention: Susan Lindsay “Violet Skies”
The Main Event
On Friday morning, artists turned in their work from previous days to the tent in Santini Plaza for Hanging and judging by Vadislav Yeliseyev..
The Gala Reception was on Friday night at the tent
Here are the results:
First Place sponsored by Santini Marina Plaza & Plein Air Magazine
Craig Reynolds “The Green Flash”
- Second Place sponsored by Fish-Tale Marina & Plein Air Magazine Award (certificate for digital ad.) Frances Mangino “Sanding Her Down”
- Third Place sponsored by Smokin Oyster Brewery Gail Risner “Beach Life”
- Merit Award sponsored by Fish House Restaurant Sherry Collier “Docked for Repairs”
- Merit Award sponsored by Art Work Essentials Manon Sander “Shrimp to Shore Store”
- Honorable Mention sponsored by Plein Air Magazine (subscription award) Kathryn McMahon “Harbor Activity Matanzas”
- Honorable Mention sponsored by Cheap Joe’s Art Stuff Jinsheng Song “After the Storm”
- Honorable Mention sponsored by Golden Williamsburg Paint Sheila Wissner “Shrimp Dock”
- Honorable Mention sponsored by Blick Art Material Linda Richichi “Before Sunset”
- Honorable Mention sponsored by Judson Guerrilla Painter Joan Roberts “Sun”
- First Place sponsored by Santini Marina Plaza Christa Friedl “Low Tide at the Beach”
- Second Place sponsored by Fish-Tale Marina Lisa Swift “Bob Paints the Beach”
- Third Place sponsored by Smokin Oyster Brewery Judith Usavage “Just Before Sunset”
- Merit Award sponsored by Judson Guerrilla Painter Rose Staat “Marker 18”
- Merit Award sponsored by Raymar Mary Klunk “All in a Row”
- Honorable Mention sponsored by Cheap Joe’s Art Stuff Jeanne Salucci “Over the Dune”
- Honorable Mention sponsored by Red Coconut RV Park Christine Templeton “What’s Up Dock?”
- Honorable Mention sponsored by Golden Williamsburg Paints Diane Ruck “The back Bay”
- Honorable Mention sponsored by Cheap Joe’s Art Stuff Donna Bergeron “Bay Beach Pond”
- Honorable Mention sponsored by Blick Art Materials Carol Frezza “Bow to the Shrimp”
- Most Representative of the Beach sponsored by Judson Guerrilla Painter Barbara Valentine “Happy at the Beach”
On Saturday, 30 adult and around 20 local High School student painters braved the breezes and competed in the 2-hour Quick Draw competition in Times Square.
Here are the results:
Adult Division Sponsored by Smokin Oyster Brewery
- First Place Jinsheng Song “Sunrise on the Building”
- Second Place Craig Reynolds “Times Square Beach”
- Third Place Sheila Wissner “At the Pier”
- Honorable Mention sponsored by Sun Eden Artist Gear Kathryn McMahon “Family Outings”
- Honorable Mention sponsored by Sun Eden Artist Gear Kenneth Fraser “Backyard Fixer Upper”
Student Division Sponsored by Red Coconut RV Park
- First Place Hannah Florell “Pier Pressure”
- Second Place Hannah Batof “FMB”
- Third Place Sara Miller “Under the Bridge”
- Honorable Mention McKenzie Dahmen “Last Goodbye”
- Honorable Mention Erica Gabrieul “Moonlight Walk”
Message from the President
By Julie Nusbaum
Welcome back everyone! With storms and cleanup behind us, I think we're all looking forward to seeing everyone again and enjoying a very busy, exciting season! We have some new faces who have joined the association; please take time to make them feel welcome. Thank you to Kathy Taylor for getting out the Yearbook which has been mailed or can be picked up at the Gallery. Thank you to Tom Flaherty for stepping up to fill the office of Vice President. I look forward to working with him as we move forward.
During the Summer our grounds committee, headed by Tom, was hard at work fixing steps, chopping up damaged trees, getting gutters installed, putting up new light fixtures, adding shelving in the library and many other projects.
Pam Flaherty has been working diligently on publicity for several new events and old favorites which are on the calendar for the Season. First on the agenda is Paint the Beach. Thank you to Marie Crist for her commitment to making this a premier event! Donna Bergeron has agreed to chair an indoor garage sale on December 1, adding to the scholarship funds. Thank you Donna! In addition to our potlucks, gallery shows and workshops, we are adding an "After Hours" reception, in conjunction with Art Divine, which will include Chamber of Commerce members who will be invited to join us.
And brought back by popular demand is an "encore" event from last year, the infamous Paint Around! Neil Walling, Michele Buelow, Lisa Grinter and Tracy Cullimore have agreed to participate in this much anticipated event this season. As the planning continues, the artists are gearing up for this exciting challenge!
Also, still in the planning stages, is a joint venture with the Beach Garden Club, taking place at the Gallery at 7:00 pm on February 13. The venue for this event will be available on our website when it is finalized. Events such as these introduce our working Gallery to more of the community and help build our Student Scholarship Fund. A definite Win-Win! All are invited to join our wonderful group of volunteers. Enjoy your time painting!
This season's opening Potluck
Mark your calendars for Thursday, Oct 19 for the first pot luck of the year at the Art association. This will be a “true” pot luck with all dishes provided by the diners except for the hams which will be cooked by the hospitality committee. So, get out your best side dish recipes and bring the dish to the pot luck. If not a side dish, appetizers and desserts are always welcome.
A sign-up sheet is in the gallery and it is important that you sign up before the 19th. A five dollar donation will be asked at the door when you come. Please be there to welcome old friends, renew acquittances, and meet new members.
Hospitality Committee, Donna Bergeron